Monday 2 November 2009

This Is Me (again)!

I loved Gina's comment on my last post, made me smile!

During the Art-As-Therapy course we had eight weeks to work individually and as a group and look at ourselves from the past, talk about the present and think about ourselves of the future. For the beginning of the course I was huge and pregnant, full of hormones and tired, then I was huge, pregnant, full of hormones and fed up of still being pregnant. It was hard, I cried alot! We were a small group of varying ages and backgrounds and everyone was very supportive. I found my Friday afternoons a big comfort after a long week.

We all had a large canvas on which to do our self portrait, using any art medium we fancied. It took me a long time to decide what I was, what I looked like. I am a thirty something, five foot something, with long dark hair, big brown eyes, a large milky chest (which isn't always milky but is always large), an abundance of freckles and usually dark bags under my eyes and snot (not mine) somewhere about my person. I didn't fancy painting her!

I thought about what I was, what I am. I am a mother. I am a wife. I am a house keeper. I keep all that I love safe. I am a big warm sphere that pulls all that is special into the centre and keeps it safe from harm. The darkness around me is the holes that I frequently fall into (to varying degrees) and am always aware of even when they are far away. Probably a bit deep but it was a great experience and I feel better for it. I like the outcome and it will hang on my wall.

We also did a family tree exercise which isn't finished yet but will be.........

Daisie xxx

4 comments:

Gina said...

I don't think I was far off the mark! Focus on that warm centre and stay away from the holes Alex!

jennyflowerblue said...

That all makes perfect sense, it is a very attractive image and it does draw one to the centre.

JuliaB said...

At least you know where the holes are, that's the main thing! xx

JuliaB said...

ps: one day you will learn how to avoid them. (I mean that in a good way!) xx